Tuesday, July 31, 2012

White IPA Recipe

Not too long ago the folks at Deschutes Brewing out in Bend cooked up a White IPA, which is a hybrid of Belgian style white ale and India Pale Ale.  I liked it, quite a bit actually.  When the time came to make another beer, I decided to take a crack a recipe of my own.
I need to say at this point that I have not actually tasted this beer.  I actually just brewed it yesterday.  Anyway, here we go.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds Pilsner malt
  • 1 pound uncracked flaked wheat
  • 1 pound uncracked flaked oats
  • 2 pounds Brewer's Gold light DME
  • 4 pounds wheat DME
  • 20 AAUs Columbus hops (bitter)
  • 4 oz Cascade hops (aroma, split in half)
  • 0.5 oz curacao sweet orange peel
  • 11 oz light Belgian candi sugar syrup (this just happened to be how much I had)
  • Wyeast 3944 or some other Belgian ale yeast
Procedure
  1. Steep the grains in 1 gallon of 150 degree Fahrenheit water for 30 minutes.
  2. Rinse the grains in another gallon of 150 degree water.
  3. Dilute steeping and rinsing water to 3 gallons and bring to a boil. 
  4. Stir in the barley extract and add the bittering hops.  Boil for 45 minutes.
  5. Add the wheat extract, orange peel, and 2 ounces of the aroma hops, boil for 15 minutes.
  6. Pour into fermenter, dilute to 5 gallons, chill to pitching temperature, and pitch yeast.
  7. Rack to secondary when krausen falls and dry hop with the remaining Cascade hops.
After this is bottled and conditioned I'll update the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment